Thursday, February 23, 2012

Seeds of Peace: Rice, rice, rice!!

I think rice is an essential part of almost every meal. . . well bread is wonderful, there is nothing like delicious rice. I did not know until I started cooking that there were so many versions of rice. I shouldn't really admit this, but being from Pittsburgh (home of Heinz ketchup) I used to mix rice with ketchup. Don't judge me now because my tastes have evolved and wouldn't do that anymore! I have learned several version of rice from those special people in my life who took time to teach me. The simple rice recipe I am going to share is a Brasilian rice. You really can't go wrong with this rice! Oddly enough, I did not learn this rice while I was in Brasil, but after my visit, in Washington, DC through some Brasilian friends. People there are no excuses! The opportunities are all around you!! In celebration of Carnival time we should all eat some Brasilian rice!

Here are links to two documentaries about Brasil:

One is called Dancing with the Devil- It is about the favelas (shantytowns) and drugs

Synopsis: Rio de Janeiro. September, 2008. Three men stalk the gloomy back-alleys of the city's notorious slums. Spiderman, a 28-year-old drug lord, embarks on a routine patrol through the shadowy streets of Coréia, the sprawling slum he controls. Inspector Leonardo Torres, a muscle-bound operative from Rio's drug squad, inches through the alleys of another shantytown, shots ringing out around him. And Pastor Dione, an evangelical preacher intent on ending Rio's drug conflict, trawls the slums for lost souls. With unprecedented access to some of Rio's most wanted men, Dancing with the Devil in the City of God tells the story of Rio's drug war through the eyes of three men locked into one of the bloodiest urban conflicts on earth.


(You can watch parts 1-10 which is the entire documentary on youtube.)

The second is called Hummingbird- It's about the sex industry in Recife (a place I visited, with warm hosptality and delicious food from my friend's family)

Synopsis: Can one person really make a difference? This documentary explores the work of two non profits started by women in Recife, Brazil. Through their grassroots efforts, they help kids get off the streets and women break the cycle of domestic violence, to find a second chance.

http://documentaryheaven.com/hummingbird/

But don't forget Brasil is also full of wonderful people, food, and culture!!

BRASILIAN RICE RECIPE

Ingredients
  • 2 cups long-grain white rice or basmati rice
  • 2 tablespoons minced onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or olive oil)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups hot water 
  1. Place the rice in a colander and rinse thoroughly with cold water; set aside.
  2. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic, and salt (before putting the garlic in mash it up with the salt) in the oil for one minute. Stir in the garlic and cook until the garlic is golden brown. Add the rice and mix with the oil, garlic, and onion together. Let it sit for about a minute or two (if the rice starts browning immediately pour water in). Pour hot water over rice mixture and stir. Reduce heat to low, cover the saucepan, and allow to simmer until the water has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. If you use Basmati rice it may not take as long.



Bom Apetite!

3 comments:

  1. You really know how to prepare it! Congrats! I do love our rice and I have to eat it every single day! I loved your blog by the way ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! Glad you are enjoying it. I understand why you eat it every day cause Brasilian rice is so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete